29.8.10

On Growing Horseradish


Three years ago, my gardening friend and neighbor handed me a little brown bag.  Inside that bag were two shriveled up horseradish roots.  Not much to look at.

I had never grown horseradish before.  Caryn assured me it was easy.  Her only advise: grow it in a pot unless you want it to spread.

So I did.

In early spring, in a large pot filled with Miracle Grow potting soil, I placed the two 4" and 5" roots.  The pot was placed in a area that received morning and early afternoon sun.  I kept the soil moist.  When the leaves started to die back, I dug out the roots. And THAT, is how you grow horseradish!

Gardening does not get any easier! 

Be sure to save a couple of the smaller roots for planting next season.  Remove the leaves and dirt.  Store the roots in a brown paper bag in a cool, dry area. 


Preparing the horseradish:  Scrub and peel the outer root layer.  Grate finely using a grater.  Fresh horseradish is pungent so be prepared to tear up.  Mix the grated root with white vinegar and a pinch of salt.  For every 3 tablespoons of root, add 1 tablespoon of vinegar.  Put mixture in a clean, sterile jar and store it in the refrigerator.  I love horseradish on bratwurst.  You can also add horseradish to mash potatoes.  When added to mayonnaise, it makes a snappy condiment for roast beef sandwiches.

No comments:

Post a Comment